Cracked, Chipped Teeth
Repair problem teeth and your smile
My tooth feels chipped.. what do I do?
There are many solutions for fixing a cracked/ chipped tooth. Treatments depend on the severity of the case. We recommend booking an appointment as soon as possible!
There are a number of reasons teeth get cracked or chipped. These include:
- Biting down on something hard (such as a bone, ice cube, candy etc.)
- Cavities (these weaken the tooth and make them more prone to breakage.
- Trauma (getting hit in the face/mouth with a ball or something hard)
- Poor Hygiene (weakening your teeth through lack of proper dental care)
- Excessive grinding (bruxism: can weaken teeth)
- Bad jaw alignment (your teeth might not bite and connect properly)
- General wear and tear (Your teeth age, just like you. Sometimes they get pushed to their limit)
- Genetics (sometimes we’re just born with weaker teeth that are more prone to chips and cracks.
A potential solutions to cracked or chipped teeth:
Crowns are used to replaced damaged teeth; often back molars that cannot be restored with a basic filling. Vaneers are commonly used for aesthetic purposes; such as teeth that have been chipped at the front and need re-shaping.
A crown encases an entire tooth whilst a veneer only covers the front surface of a tooth. Depending on which tooth is cracked/chipped, both of these options serve a similar purpose and can restore your tooth, making it look natural and functional alongside your other teeth.
Crowns are thicker than Vaneers. Crowns are generally used towards the back of the mouth; whilst Veneers are designed for the anterior (front) teeth.
Book an appointment with Dr Morris Dong today!
It is important to treat cracked/ chipped teeth. Without professional care, these issues can have detrimental effects on your short and long term dental health.